Naturalization Lawyer Chicago
The United States has a long history of welcoming immigrants from all parts of the world. America values the contributions of immigrants who continue to enrich this country and preserve its legacy as a land of freedom and opportunity.
Deciding to become a U.S. citizen is one of the most important decisions in an individual’s life. If you decide to apply to become a U.S. citizen, you will be showing your commitment to the United States and your loyalty to its Constitution. In return, you are rewarded with all the rights and privileges that are part of U.S. citizenship.
Citizenship Through Naturalization
Naturalization is the process by which United States citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills certain requirements. Naturalization requirements include the following:
- You have been a lawful permanent resident for at least 5 years, or for 3 years if you have obtained residence through your spouse.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have good moral character. This could mean that you volunteer in your community, have a stable work history, or simply do not have a criminal record.
- You can prove continuous residence and physical presence for the 5 or 3-year period leading up to your application, which means that you cannot have been outside of the United States for longer than 180 consecutive days or 1 year in total.
- You pass the citizenship exam, with some exceptions for the elderly and mentally ill.
Those who have been a permanent resident of the United States for a minimum of five years, have been a permanent resident for three years or more while married to a U.S. citizen, or if you have served honorably in the U.S. military are eligible to apply for naturalization. This can be achieved through filling out and submitting Form N-400. You will also be required to take a naturalization test and pass.
Illinois Naturalization Attorney
Hiring a naturalization lawyer in Illinois can help you during the citizenship process. The experienced Chicago immigration attorneys at Sverdloff Law Group can assist you with all of your naturalization needs. Call our Chicago law office to speak with a naturalization lawyer at (312) 238-9090 or contact us to schedule an appointment today!