Immigration Services
Chicago Family-Based Immigration Attorney
Immigration Options for Spouse or Minor Child of a U.S. Permanent Resident 

Immigration Options for Spouse or Minor Child of a U.S. Permanent Resident 

Applying for a Visa for the Spouse or Minor Child of a U.S. Permanent Resident

If you are a U.S. permanent resident, you may be busy building a life here in the United States, and are likely eager to reunify your family here. Luckily, there is a way for you to do this. By filing the I-130 petition with USCIS, you will initiate the process of bringing your spouse to the United States. However, this is a lengthy process. The sooner that you start, the sooner you can start counting down until you will be able to be reunited with your family. 

Can a Permanent Resident Get a Green Card for Their Spouse?

Yes, under family reunification laws, a permanent resident is able to sponsor their spouse and unmarried minor children for United States visas. This will give green cards to their spouse and children, allowing them to live and work legally in the United States. After five years of continuous presence, they may file for citizenship. However, the process to actually get them a visa can be somewhat daunting. This is because U.S. citizens have preference when it comes to bringing their immediate family members to the United States. 

An unlimited number of immediate family members of U.S. citizens are able to come to the United States every year, while a strict quota is set on the number of spouses and children of permanent residents who are issued visas annually. This makes the process highly competitive and much longer for permanent residents. In some cases, long-term permanent residents can wait two to three years or more after filing the I-130 petition with USCIS. However, the sooner they put the process in motion, the sooner their visa will be issued. 

It should also be noted that the process can go much more smoothly if the I-130 petition contains all necessary information and is completed correctly. Often errors in the application or missing documentation or information can create unnecessary delays or even result in denials. For this reason, it is a good idea to invest in an immigration attorney who can ensure that your petition is filed accurately and without error, so that the process will unfold as efficiently as possible. In some cases, if you are currently or soon to be applying for citizenship yourself, it may be more effective to obtain citizenship before petitioning USCIS to bring your family members over. This is because, as a U.S. citizen, you will have the first line of preference, and the process may take as little as several months. You will also have the ability to bring over additional members of your immediate family, such as siblings and parents. 

Sverdloff Law Group Can Help

Every day, our experienced immigration attorneys help families unite here in the United States. If you are a U.S. long-term permanent resident working towards citizenship and you want to bring your spouse and children to the United States, our attorneys can develop the best plan for reunification and file all necessary petitions to get the process started. 

Contact Sverdloff Law

If you are ready to start the process of bringing your family to the United States so that you can build a life here together, the Sverdloff Law Group in Chicago, Illinois, is ready to help. Contact us today and schedule a consultation

Every Dream Should Be Realized.
Let Us Help You Accomplish Yours.


Words From Our

Reviews from our clients from around the world.
See All Testimonials
The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • eleven + two =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.