Immigration Services
Chicago Family-Based Immigration Attorney
F2B Visas for Adult Children of Lawful Permanent Residents 

F2B Visas for Adult Children of Lawful Permanent Residents 

Are you a lawful permanent resident in the United States? Lawful permanent residence comes with a number of advantages, including the ability to obtain visas for your family members. A lawful permanent resident has the ability to request a family preference visa for their children over the age of 21, provided that they are unmarried. If this is the course that you wish to pursue, you will need to file an F2B visa application. This process can be challenging, as there is a limit on the number of family preference visas issued for the family members of lawful permanent residents each year, and the smallest number is allocated for F2B visas. For this reason, it is important to work with an experienced Illinois immigration attorney who can maximize your chances of a successful outcome. 

Requirements for an F2B Visa

In order to qualify for an F2B visa, the adult child of the lawful permanent resident must be at least 21 years old and unmarried. They must be able to demonstrate that they are the child of a lawful permanent resident by providing evidence, such as a birth certificate or adoption papers. The lawful permanent resident must currently be living in the United States and have a valid address within the United States that United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) can verify. 

How to Apply for an F2B Visa

In order to apply for an F2B visa, the first step must be taken by the lawful permanent resident parent. The parent must file form I-130 with USCIS. This form is a petition to obtain a visa for an alien relative. Once this form has been filed by the parent, it will be processed and will either be approved or denied. If the petition is denied, a reason will be provided. You will have the opportunity to resubmit your application if it is denied initially. It will be important to review the feedback from USCIS so that you can be sure to provide any missing information and address any existing issues when you resubmit your petition. It is a good idea at this stage (after receiving a denial) to consult with an attorney and seek legal assistance to make sure that your second petition will be approved and does not further delay the already competitive F2B visa process. On the other hand, if the petition is approved, the adult child will receive information from USCIS on the next steps. This next step will generally require the adult child or the lawful permanent resident to apply for the F2B visa through a United States embassy or consulate in the country where they are currently living. It is important to note that this step cannot be taken until their parent has successfully petitioned USCIS. 

Schedule a Consultation with Sverdloff Law Group

If you are a lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen and you are ready to bring your family together here in the United States, the experienced immigration attorneys at Sverdloff Law Group in Chicago, Illinois, are ready to help. Contact Sverdloff Law Group today to schedule a consultation.

Every Dream Should Be Realized.
Let Us Help You Accomplish Yours.


Words From Our

Reviews from our clients from around the world.
See All Testimonials
The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • ten − three =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.