Immigration Services
Citizenship FAQs

Citizenship FAQs

Becoming an American citizen is a dream for millions of people around the world and many right here in our country. Unfortunately, the process is incredibly complex, and while you are trying to navigate it, you will have many questions. Below, our Chicago immigration lawyer outlines some of the most frequently asked questions and the answers to them.

Can I Still Apply if I Do Not Have the Necessary Documents?

If you cannot obtain a document you need for your application, you can include an explanation of why you cannot retrieve it and provide more supporting documents for your eligibility. Documents you may need include school records, baptismal certificates, and census records. You can also include affidavits from people with personal knowledge of how you became a citizen of the United States, such as the naturalization of your parents.

I Applied for a Certificate of Citizenship Months Ago: How Can I Check the Status of My Application?

If you submitted Form N 600, or the Application for Certificate of Citizenship, you can visit the USCIS website and check the status of your case using the confirmation letter they sent you. The letter will include a receipt number you can use to check the status of your case. If you have not received confirmation from the USCIS and many months have passed, you may have to contact the USCIS to confirm they received it, obtain your receipt number, and ensure they have your correct address on file.

How are N 400 and N 600 Different From Each Other?

Forms N 400 and N 600 both concern becoming a citizen of the United States. Form N 400 is used by lawful permanent residents in the country who wish to become U.S. citizens. On the other hand, N 600 is used by individuals who have acquired citizenship from their parents and who require a U.S. Citizenship Certificate.

Can I Apply for a Certificate of Citizenship if My Naturalized Parent Passed Away?

You may still be able to file Form N 600 if one of your parents passed away. This is possible if you automatically become a citizen at or after birth. However, if you were not a citizen before your parent passed away, using Form N 600 may not be possible. Instead, you may have to qualify under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Only My Stepparent is a U.S. Citizen. Can I Still Submit Form N 600?

If your stepparent is an American citizen, but your biological parent is not, you cannot submit Form N 600. On the other hand, if your stepparent legally adopts you, it may be possible to use Form N 600.

Our Immigration Lawyer in Chicago Can Answer All of Your Questions

When you have an immigration issue, you also have a lot of questions. At Sverdloff Law Group, our Chicago immigration lawyer can answer them so you fully understand your options and can make the best-informed decisions. Call us now or contact us online to schedule a consultation and learn more.

Every Dream Should Be Realized.
Let Us Help You Accomplish Yours.


Words From Our

Reviews from our clients from around the world.
See All Testimonials
The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • 9 minus 2 =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.