Immigration Services
Student Visas

Student Visas

A person who wants to study in the United States may be eligible for a student visa. Student visas allow international students to legally live and study in the U.S. while they work toward their degrees. There are several types of student visas, so it is important to determine which one you qualify for and which is the best option for your circumstances. You may qualify for the student and exchange visitor program. An experienced immigration attorney will assist you in reviewing your needs and helping you with the visa application process. 

Types of Student Visas

Three main types of student visas are available through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  

  • F1 Visa – The F1 Visa is for students from other countries who are attending an academic program in the United States. This is the most common type of student visa. To qualify for an F1 Visa, you must be a full-time student.
  • J1 Visa – The J1 Visa is a visa for students who need to get practical training in their field of study which is not available in their home country. This visa is similar to the F1 Visa.
  • M1 Visa – The M1 Visa is for students who wish to participate in training that is non-academic. An example of this would be vocational college. You must prove that you have the money available to pay your tuition and living expenses for the duration of your stay in the U.S. 

It is important to note that students with an F1 or J1 visa are generally allowed to work only on a limited basis while they study. They may be allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours, but employment is not guaranteed. Therefore, students must have the funds necessary for their studies, along with room and board. 

Qualifications for Student Visas

To begin with, you will need to verify your eligibility with the school where you plan to attend classes. Each school has its own criteria that you must meet to get accepted as a student. You must have financial support available to cover your expenses while you attend school. Remember that, at the most, you will only be able to work part-time, and therefore, you must prove your finances without working in the U.S. You must also have proof of health insurance if you require medical care while in the country. 

In addition, you must also meet the general requirements for entry into the United States. You will want to verify your eligibility with help from a skilled immigration attorney. Your lawyer will review the specific qualifications and help you with the process. 

How Long Can I Stay in The U.S. With a Student Visa?

Student visas are provided for the sole purpose of studying in the United States. Once the program is over, you are required to leave the U.S. If you have an F1 visa, you must leave the U.S. no later than 60 days after the end of your program. Those with M or J visas have 30 days to leave. You may request a visa extension, but you must do so prior to the expiration of your visa. You may also be able to change the status of your visa. You may do so with the assistance of your school’s designated school official (DSO).

There are many benefits to studying in the United States. If you wish to complete your studies in the U.S., you must do so by obtaining the proper type of visa. A knowledgeable immigration attorney will answer your questions and help you through the process. To learn more, contact our legal team at Sverdloff Law Group at (312) 238-9090.

Every Dream Should Be Realized.
Let Us Help You Accomplish Yours.


Words From Our

Reviews from our clients from around the world.
See All Testimonials
The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • 13 + 1 =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.