Immigration Services
Chicago Temporary Protected Status Attorney

Chicago Temporary Protected Status Attorney

Sverdloff Law Group

Temporary Protected Status

If you are in a situation where it is unsafe for you to remain in or return to your homeland, you may be able to apply for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) in the United States. Unlike asylum, and other forms of immigration, such as visas, which are decided on an individual case-by-case basis, in order to apply for Temporary Protected Status, your home country is the first qualifying criteria.

Who is Eligible for Temporary Protected Status?

The U.S. Government designates specific countries that are eligible for TPS protections. These countries are selected based on the fact that it would be dangerous for citizens of that country to remain there because of war, natural disaster, political threat, or other reasons. Ukraine and Afghanistan were both added to the list in 2022 due to ongoing conflicts there. Individuals from those countries who are in the United States may now apply for TPS. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website maintains a list of countries currently designated for TPS protection

What does Temporary Protected Status Do?

Having Temporary Protected Status allows an individual to live and work in the United States without the fear of being deported back to their home country. As the name implies, TPS is temporary. The status is only intended to last as long as the conflict or danger remains present in the home country. Typically, TPS is designated for a period of 18 months, but that period can be renewed and extended as many times as necessary until it is determined by the government that the danger no longer remains to citizens that would need to return there. 

Some countries, such as El Salvador, have had their 18-month TPS designation renewed for nearly 20 years. Temporary Protective Status does not create a pathway to citizenship, although it does give people a reprieve from the danger in their homeland and the opportunity to live and work here without worrying about being deported.

Do I Have to Apply for Temporary Protected Status if My Country is Eligible?

It’s important to note that just being a national of a foreign country that is approved for Temporary Protected Status is not sufficient to receive TPS. If you are interested in receiving TPS, you will still need to register. This registration must generally take place during a specified period of time and may include completing various forms, submitting evidence, and paying fees. 

Additionally, in order to maintain your Temporary Protected Status, you must re-register for the coverage each time the TPS period expires and is renewed. This process can be complicated and simple errors or not knowing to submit certain information can result in a denial or in costly delays. If you missed the initial registration deadline, you may still be able to file late if you can establish good cause for having to do so. An immigration lawyer can help you navigate this process as quickly and efficiently as possible. 

Contact the Sverdloff Law Group

If you are interested in getting Temporary Protected Status or require assistance with any immigration-related issue, the experienced immigration attorneys at the Sverdloff Law Group are ready to help. Contact the Sverdloff Law Group today to schedule a consultation and start getting the protections to which you are entitled.

Every Dream Should Be Realized.
Let Us Help You Accomplish Yours.


Words From Our

Reviews from our clients from around the world.
See All Testimonials
The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • 9 − five =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.