Chicago Immigration Attorney

Immigration News & Updates
Who is Eligible for a Green Card? 

Who is Eligible for a Green Card? 


If you are interested in getting a green card so that you can become a permanent resident of the United States with the ability to live and work here indefinitely, you are not alone. The United States immigration system can be really complicated, and it can be hard to determine what category you fall into and whether you might be eligible for permanent residency status. The good news is that there are many ways to qualify. 

People Who Are Eligible for a Green Card Based on Family Status

You have a claim to permanent residency if you are the immediate family member of a U.S. citizen. Immediate family members include spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents who are over the age of 21. There are an unlimited number of visas available for these individuals. You can also get a green card if you are related to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, even if you are not their immediate family. The visas available for this category are limited annually, but are still available. Additionally, if you are engaged to a U.S. citizen, you likely qualify for a green card under a K-1 fiance visa. Widowers of U.S. citizens and spouses, children, or parents of U.S. citizens who have suffered abuse by them, also qualify for special visas that allow for permanent residency. 

Getting a Green Card Through Employment

Familial relationships are the only way to get a green card, having a job lined up in the United States can also secure your permanent residency. Skilled workers who have at least two years of training, workers with advanced or specialized degrees, and individuals with extraordinary abilities, such as researchers and doctors with rare specializations, can all qualify for green cards. Generally, however, they must secure employment before coming to the United States. Additionally, visas are available for doctors who agree to work in underserved areas and immigrants who agree to invest a minimum of $800,000 to $1,050,000 in United States businesses.  

Other Bases for Employment

Even if you do not qualify for a green card based on any of the above criteria, there are still other ways to gain a green card. For instance, if you are approved for refugee or asylum status, or are a victim of human trafficking. Special visas also exist in certain circumstances for religious workers, international broadcasters, and other individuals. If you are interested in obtaining permanent residency status, the best thing that you can do is consult with an experienced immigration attorney. We will review your current circumstances and determine whether you are eligible for a green card as well as the steps necessary to obtain it. 

Contact the Sverdloff Law Group in Chicago, Illinois

If you want to build a life in the United States, getting a green card is the first step. Contact the experienced immigration attorneys at the Sverdloff Law Group today to schedule a consultation and find out how lawyers can help.


facebook twitter Linkedin
The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • seven minus 3 =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.