Chicago Immigration Attorney

Immigration News & Updates
Steps to Take Before You File for a K-1 Fiance(e) Visa 

Steps to Take Before You File for a K-1 Fiance(e) Visa 

PUBLISHED ON: October 25

Getting married is a huge step in your life, and when citizenship concerns and shifts are a part of it, the process can be made significantly more complex. For information on how to apply for a K-1 visa, read on to learn about the process and reach out to a Chicago immigration attorney from Sverdloff Law Group today to discuss your specific case. 

Step 1: File For I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance(e)

If you are a United States citizen and want to bring your foreign fiancé(e) into the United States to get married, the first step in the K-1 Fiance(e) visa is to file the petition for your alien fiance(e). This is the first step to take, and after that, you and your fiancé must plan to get married within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States as a K-1 nonimmigrant. The marriage must be valid, which means that both you and your fiancé(e) must have a legitimate intent to establish a life together. The marriage cannot be for the sole purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit. 

Step 2: Inspection at a Port of Entry

When your fiancé(e) is on their way into the United States, they will seek admission at a port of entry while the K-1 nonimmigrant visa is valid. Admission into the United States is not guaranteed simply because you have a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. At the port of entry, a CBP officer will conduct an investigation and make the ultimate decision as to whether or not your fiancé(e) is admitted into the United States. 

Step 3: Get Married within 90 Days of Your Fiance(e) Entering the United States

Once your fiancé(e) has entered the U.S. on a nonimmigrant K-1 fiance(e) visa, you must be married within 90 days of their being admitted into the U.S. Being married during this time will help to ensure your eligibility for the next step in the process. 

Step 4: Apply for Lawful Permanent Resident Status in the U.S. with a Green Card

After having acquired the K-1 fiance(e) visa and getting married within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s arrival into the United States, they may then apply for lawful permanent resident status in the United States, which is known as a green card. Once your fiancé(e) turned spouse has acquired a green card, they have the right to live and work in the United States indefinitely. If there are children involved, the process requires additional steps – steps that an experienced attorney can advise you on to help ensure the success of your application. 

A Chicago Immigration Attorney Can Help on Your K-1 Visa Now!

An attorney can be invaluable in the process of acquiring your K-1 visa so you can move forward with your marriage. Contact Sverdloff Law Group today to schedule a consultation to discuss your situation today.


facebook twitter Linkedin
The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • thirteen plus 4 =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.