Immigration Services
Chicago Family-Based Immigration Attorney
Immigration Options for Parents of U.S. Citizens 

Immigration Options for Parents of U.S. Citizens 

Parents of U.S. Citizens

Do you want to come to the United States to be reunited with your child? If your child is a United States citizen over the age of 21, they may be able to sponsor you so that you can obtain a visa to live and work in the United States. Family immigration allows U.S. citizens and permanent residents to petition U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to get alien relatives a visa. U.S. citizens have the ability to file a petition on behalf of their parents. If you want help securing a visa for yourself or your foreign-national parent, the experienced family immigration attorneys at the Sverdloff Law Group in Chicago, Illinois, can help. 

Immigration Process for Parents of U.S. Citizens 

The first step in getting your parent a visa is to file an I-130 form with USCIS. After USCIS has processed this form, they will notify you about whether the application has been granted or denied. If the petition is denied, you can work with your attorney to appeal the decision or refile. In some cases, it may have been denied due to an error or piece of missing information that can easily be provided. In other instances, you may have to refile. If your petition is granted, and your parent is currently living outside of the United States, they will be instructed to go to the U.S. consulate in the country where they are located to complete the necessary steps for visa processing. If your parent is already in the United States, you will want to file an I-485 form for an adjustment in status at the same time as you file form I-130. Your parent can then file a request for work authorization while the petition is pending. If your parent is located outside of the United States, once their visa is issued and they travel to the United States, they will be issued a passport upon arrival. 

How the Sverdloff Law Group Can Help

Each year, the United States makes an unlimited number of visas available for the immediate family members of United States citizens. This means that the opportunity for reunification with your parent or parents is there for the taking. Applying for a visa on your own can be daunting and complicated. Not to mention that even simple errors and misunderstandings of the instructions can result in denials and costly delays. The best way to ensure that you will successfully be able to navigate the visa process is to hire an immigration attorney who will help you every step of the way. The compassionate and experienced family immigration attorneys at the Sverdloff Law Group will fight to get your parents here with you. Our law staff speaks Ukrainian, Russian, Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, and Spanish. Our practice is global and serves all 50 states. 

Contact the Sverdloff Law Group to Schedule a Consultation Today

If you are a U.S. citizen and want to bring your parent or parents to the United States, the experienced family immigration lawyers at the Sverdloff Law Group are ready to help. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.

Every Dream Should Be Realized.
Let Us Help You Accomplish Yours.


Words From Our

Reviews from our clients from around the world.
See All Testimonials
The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • 11 minus seven =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.