Consular Processing

Consular Processing

Sverdloff Law Group

Consular Processing

For people seeking to live or work in the United States who are currently residing in another country, their application for legal permanent residency must go through a procedure known as consular processing. While every application is different, there are some typical steps that most cases go through, which are explained below. 

1. Contact Sverdloff Law Group

There is a lot of confusing information out there about immigration, and a qualified immigration lawyer can help you avoid serious mistakes in your application. We recommend contacting an attorney before you apply. 

2. Partner to Create Strategy

Receiving a green card through consular processing usually requires you to be sponsored by a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. The sponsor must be a close relative, spouse, or employer. Sverdloff Law Group can work with this person in the U.S. to coordinate your application.

3. Determine Type of Application

Family-based immigrant petitions are the most common, followed by employer-based. However, there are also special categories and humanitarian programs that allow immigrants to apply under other circumstances. Your attorney can advise you on which type of application is best for your situation.

4. Gather Documentation

There can often be delays and obstacles in the application process and submitting the most complete application possible is important for avoiding further delays. Your legal team will help you gather the evidence that must be submitted with your application.

5. Apply for Immigrant Petition

The sponsor will submit the completed immigrant petition to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and wait for a decision. USCIS may ask for additional documentation at this time.

6. Submit Fees and Documents to NVC

Once the immigrant petition is approved and a visa number is available, the National Visa Center (NVC) will contact the sponsor, also called the petitioner, and notify them of when to submit processing fees and supporting documentation.

7. Attend Interview

The consular office will then schedule your interview. Original versions of your application documents may need to be presented to the consular office at this time. If information such as your marital status or address changes after the interview, you will need to notify the NVC.

8. Visa Granted

If your visa is granted, the consular office will provide you with a packet of information known as a Visa Packet. Do not open the packet. You will also be required to pay an immigrant fee, and it is recommended that you do this before departing your home country.

9. Travel to the US

When you arrive at a port of entry in the United States, you’ll give your Visa Packet to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). A CBP officer will then inspect the documents and admit you as a lawful permanent resident.

10. Receive Green Card

Your green card should be sent to your U.S. address within 45 days of arriving in the country. If you haven’t paid the immigrant fee to the USCIS, you will need to do so before the green card is sent to you.

We Help People Make America Their Home

The U.S. immigration process can be intimidating, but there is help available. Sverdloff Law Group is dedicated to helping individuals, couples, and families start their lives together in America. For assistance with consular processing or another immigration matter, contact our office today.

Every Dream Should Be Realized.
Let Us Help You Accomplish Yours.


Words From Our

Reviews from our clients from around the world.
See All Testimonials
The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • thirteen plus one =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.