Chicago K-1 Fiance Visa Attorney

Chicago K-1 Fiance Visa Attorney

Chicago K-1 Fiance Visa Attorney

Are you engaged to someone from outside the United States, or are you a foreign citizen who is engaged to someone in the U.S.? In either case, if you want to live together in the U.S., you will need to take the proper immigration steps, which usually begins with obtaining a K-1 visa. For assistance with this process, contact a Chicago K-1 fiance visa attorney as soon as possible. 

What is the K-1 Visa?

Also commonly known as a fiance visa, the K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa intended for people who are foreign nationals and become engaged to U.S. citizens. This visa applies to those who want to enter and live in the U.S. with their fiances, who must sponsor the visa application. A K-2 visa can also be sought for any dependents of the foreign-born fiance. After receiving a K-1, you have 90 days to get married. Then, you can seek an adjustment of status from USCIS to receive a green card as a lawful permanent resident.

Requirements for a K-1 Visa

Immigration law considers someone to be a fiance if they have an approved I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) form filed with USCIS. They should intend to enter into a bona fide marriage with the U.S. citizen who filed the I-129F form. 

If either party has previous marriages, they must have been legally terminated by the death of a spouse, divorce, or annulment, and each party should be legally allowed to marry the other under the law (for example, not be too closely related or too young). The subsequent marriage must meet the requirements of a legal marriage under the laws of the state where the ceremony takes place. 

The process of obtaining a K-1 visa involves:

  • The citizen petitioning for their fiance completes and submits the proper form to the proper USCIS field office (this must be filed in the U.S. and not at a foreign consulate or embassy).
  • If USCIS grants the petition, they send it to be processed by the National Visa Center, which assigns a case number and forwards the information to the proper consulate or embassy. 
  • The consulate or embassy will provide the applicant with instructions for a medical exam and an interview with immigration officials, which they must attend to receive their visa. 

The interview allows immigration officials to examine whether the engagement seems legitimate or whether it is for immigration purposes only. If you have a bona fide relationship and plan to marry based on your feelings for one another, the interview does not have to be an intimidating experience. An immigration lawyer can review the details of your relationship and help prepare you for the interview process. 

Speak with a Chicago K-1 Fiance Visa Attorney Today

If you are seeking a K-1 visa for your fiance, look no further than the Chicago K-1 fiance visa attorney at Sverdloff Law Group. We help clients in this situation, so please contact us to learn more today. 

The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • 12 + seven =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.