Chicago Immigration Attorney


Best Chicago Immigration Attorney

Best Chicago Immigration Attorney

Best Chicago Immigration Attorney

United States immigration policies and the laws in place to enforce those policies are complex, even for the simplest of the immigration processes. To navigate the system and accomplish your immigration objectives, you will need the best Chicago immigration attorney, and, fortunately for you, Sverdloff Law Group is ready to help you get the process started.

What a Chicago Immigration Attorney Can Do for You

U.S. immigration can be classified into two general categories: obtaining immigration benefits, such as temporary or permanent visas, or fighting to legally remain in the United States if you used to have legal status and no longer do – or if you never had any at all.

Obtaining immigration benefits, in turn, can be categorized into two groups: family-based immigration and employment-based immigration.

Family-Based Immigration

If you are U.S. Citizen or permanent resident and have a close relative who is not a U.S. citizen, you can petition the government to allow them to obtain legal status as lawful U.S. permanent residents and, when the allowed time comes, they can also apply to become U.S. citizens.

To petition the government for these relatives, the law requires that you file a petition that is supported by documentation that:

  • Establishes the qualifying familial relationship. Not all relatives qualify to obtain legal status through their relationship with you as a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Relatives who typically qualify to be sponsored through family immigration are spouses and children of U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
  • Shows the relationship is bona fide. Just because you have a marriage certificate does not in itself satisfy the legal requirement to establish a marital relationship for U.S. immigration purposes. Rather, you must prove with documentary evidence that your marriage is genuine and not entered for purposes of circumventing U.S. immigration law.
  • Covers fees. Filing a petition to accord your qualifying relative legal status in the U.S. requires paying fees for both the petition and an application to be followed by your relative to be accorded status.

 Employment-Based Immigration

There are various ways foreign nationals can obtain visas or become lawful permanent residents (obtain a Green Card) through employment. These employment-based or EB categories include:

  • First preference (EB-1) – priority workers
  • Foreign workers with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics,
  • Outstanding university professors and researchers; or
  • Certain multinational managers and executives.
  • Second preference (EB-2) – foreign-born individuals who hold advanced degrees in their respective professions or who have exceptional ability
  • Third preference (EB-3) – skilled workers, professionals, or other workers.

Removal/Deportation Defense

If you are in the United States without legal status, you may find yourself placed in what is known as removal proceedings. This is an administrative court proceeding where the government tries to have you removed from the United States as the one here illegally. You have a right to defend yourself against such removal, but you will need help from an experienced Removal/Deportation Attorney.

Seek Help from the Best Chicago Immigration Attorney

If you need help with any immigration issue or problem, contact Sverdloff Law Group today to schedule a consultation to have us help you meet your immigration needs.

The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • nine minus four =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.