Chicago Immigration Attorney


Best Chicago Family Immigration Attorney

Best Chicago Family Immigration Attorney

Best Chicago Family Immigration Attorney

How to Obtain a Green Card for Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens

A green card is a way to live and work in the United States. There are various ways to qualify for a green card, but the easiest way is to apply as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. A U.S. citizen may sponsor a close relative such as a spouse, child, or parent. To qualify, you must meet specific criteria set forth by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You may want to seek guidance from the best Chicago family immigration attorney to assist you through the process. 

Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens

Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens are allowed to enter the U.S. and apply for a green card. Immediate relatives include a spouse, a child, or the parent of a U.S. citizen. A child must be unmarried and under the age of 21. A U.S. citizen must be at least age 21 to apply for a parent. If the relative is already in the United States, they must be eligible to file an adjustment of status. It is important to note that there is no limit on the number of green cards that are permitted to be distributed by the USCIS as there are for other types of categories. 

Eligibility for Adjustment of Status

If you are a relative already in the United States, you must meet specific requirements to apply for a green card as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. First, you must be in the U.S. legally as either inspected and admitted or inspected and paroled by an immigration official. If you meet this qualification, you may submit Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Status or Adjust Status. You must present in the United States at the time you file Form I-485. You cannot be barred from an adjustment. You must have a filed, pending, or approved I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) on your behalf. 

Petition for Alien Relative (I-130)

A Petition for Alien Relative (I-130) is the first step in the process of obtaining a green card for a relative. The I-130 establishes the relationship with the U.S. citizen. Submitting the I-130 does not guarantee a green card. It only allows you to move to the next step, which includes submitting Form I-485. Someone who qualifies as an immediate relative is not restricted by a specific number of petitions allowed per year. The petitioner, or person who submits the application, is a U.S. citizen. Once the USCIS accepts the I-130, the relative is eligible to submit Form I-485. The appropriate consulate will contact the relative to schedule an interview. 

If you are a U.S. citizen and seek a green card for your immediate relative, you may benefit from the guidance of the best Chicago family immigration attorney. At Sverdloff Law Group, we have the experience and knowledge to help you through the process to make it as easy and stress-free as possible. We are here to help. Contact Sverdloff Law Group at (312) 238-9090 today.

The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • 12 − two =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.