Immigration News & Updates
Family-Based Immigration
Can I help my parents immigrate to the U.S.?

Can I help my parents immigrate to the U.S.?

PUBLISHED ON: February 19

In our globalized world, families often find themselves dispersed across countries and even continents. Reunifying these families in the United States can be a challenging process, requiring attention to legal details and an understanding of ever-changing immigration laws. At Sverdloff Law Group, we know firsthand the challenges and emotions associated with this journey. In this blog, we share our knowledge to help you navigate the path to bringing your parents to the U.S.

The Path to Family Reunification

The United States immigration system provides several ways for citizens and lawful permanent residents to bring their parents to live and work in the country. The most common process involves petitioning for an immigrant visa or a “green card” for your parents. The eligibility requirements and application process vary depending on the petitioner’s status as a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident and whether the parent resides within or outside the United States.

Eligibility Requirements and Application Process

To petition for an immigrant visa for parents, the petitioner must be a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old. If the petitioner meets these criteria, they can file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form serves as the first step in establishing a familial relationship between the petitioner and the parent.

While the application process may seem straightforward, it requires careful attention to detail. Any inaccuracies or omissions in the paperwork can lead to substantial delays in the immigration process or even denial of the application. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure the completeness and accuracy of all supporting documentation.

Visa Options for Parents

For parents residing outside the United States, upon approval of the I-130 petition, the case will be transferred to the National Visa Center, which will guide petitioners and parents through the process of applying for an immigrant visa.

Temporary nonimmigrant visas are also available, although they do not provide a direct path to permanent residency. These include tourist visas (B-2) or medical treatment visas, among others. Each of these visas has its own set of requirements and application processes.

Navigating the Immigration Maze

The U.S. immigration system is complex and can be hard to navigate without guidance. This is where Sverdloff Law Group steps in. With a deep understanding of the intricacies of U.S. immigration law and a commitment to personalized attention, the team at Sverdloff Law Group provides trusted guidance through the immigration maze.

Reach Out To Us

Every family deserves to be together. The journey towards achieving this dream in the United States may seem daunting, but with the right guidance, it is entirely possible. Let Sverdloff Law Group guide you through this journey. Reach out to us today for a consultation. We are ready to listen, ready to help, and most importantly, ready to turn your dreams into reality.


facebook twitter Linkedin
The United States immigration system is complex and scary. We're here to guide you through it.

It all starts with a consultation:

  • 13 − 6 =
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
It's fast and easy.